Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hang it up!

ooooh, I'm so excited about this project! It turned out exactly the way I had in mind - don't you just love when that happens?!? I'd been seeing those family name/ est.. signs all over blogland. Most seemed to be made with cut vinyl, but I don't have one of those fancy cutter things. I do have Photoshop, though, so I decided to come up with something myself!

  • I took a $1 yard sale frame and sprayed ORB. Size is about 8x20. This thing was hideous. A late eighties vignette of perfume bottles and magnolia blossoms framed in bright gold.
  • In Photoshop, I put together my art using a background paper from TDC's Every Life Has a Story kit, TKWhimsy's Doodled Stamps, and a couple of fonts (Passions Conflict & American Classic).
  • I could have made a poster print to fit the frame all the way, but that would've cost around $10 to print. nuh-uh. So, I made my print the very largest that I could fit on a 12x18 page (which just so happens to be the largest laser copy that my local print shop makes - 80 cents).
  • I opted not to mat, again, being thrifty ;) Instead I grabbed a piece of burlap and wrapped that around the cardboard that came in the frame. Taped it in place and used double-sided tape to secure the print to the burlap.
  • And, done!! Now to figure out where I want to hang my latest creation.
Frame - $1
paint on hand
digital scrapbooking supplies
print - 80 cents
burlap - $1-ish
Total spent: about $3